Dr. Brian M.
Dr. Brian M., Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of veterinary experience in companion animal and exotic medicine and surgery
45594546
Cat Veterinary

my cat just sneezed blood droplets. he is eating fine. he

my cat just sneezed blood... Show More
my cat just sneezed blood droplets. he is eating fine. he has had the "snuffles" for sev. months, but this is the 1st blood I've seen. He is 10 , 14.8#. neutered.
Category: Cat Veterinary
replied 6 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Brian. I have some questions for you to better help you. When you say snuffles do you mean sneezing, congestion, or what exactly? Has he been sneezing any "snot" during this several month period? Is there any chance he got into mouse or rat poison? Did your vet hear anything unusual 5 days ago when doing the exam or mention any advanced dental disease in Zorro? What part of the United States do you live in? Is your cat 100% indoor or does he go outside? Has Zorro had any sneezing or respiratory problems prior to the last several months or respiratory problems since he was a kitten?
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. "Snuffles" -fits of sneezing with some cloudy nasal D/C, first noticed in January. Vet visit for same- CBC, LFTs, temp etc all normal. It seemed to me Z had something up his nose: he would rub the right side of his face repeatedly w/ his paw. Sneezing jags seemed to lessen; no further D/C. At last visit 8/26- wt, dental, lungs all good. Zorro seems proned to red itchy ears and redness around his right lacrimal duct. I chalked the sneezing up to "allergies' and actually treated him w/ a few doses of Chlor-trimeton. It is my habit to occassionally take Zorro and his brother Oscar outside on harnesses and a running line, but outside home improvements and excessive heat have prevented this for the entire Summer. We live in Baltimore. I hope this rambling is of some help. Brenda
Dr. Brian M., Veterinarian replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the additional info. Is the cloudy nasal discharge from one nostril or both? Is the blood from one nostril or both. What did you mean by LFTs?
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
The cloudy nasal D/C, back in January, was from the right nostril. It has since resolved, but was the reason for the January vet excursion. Curiously, the blood droplets tonight seemed to be from his left nostril ( I know this bec. I took a small Q-tip and very gently probed his nostrils: the Right was clean, the Left had a serous red-tinged D/C- ever so slight). LFTs- ie liver function tests. Brenda
OK My concern in this age of cat with blood sneezed from the nostril is foreign body, tumor or polyp, fungal culture, or dental disease. Even if there was no obvious dental disease there could be infection of the canine root which extends way up into the nasal sinus and can result in sneezing and blood if present. The best way to proceed from here is to take a nasal sinus radiograph of Zorros head and evaluate for the presence of a mass in the sinus or destruction of delicate nasal bones in the area or loss of bone around the canine tooth. Other tests that are done if no answers are found and the discharge or blood continues is rhinoscopy (using a camera to look up the nose) or using and endoscope to go into the mouth and then retroflex the scope to look up over the of the soft and hard palate. Unilateral (one side of the nose only) discharge is always more of a concern than discharge from both nostrils and sneezing blood in an old cat is always a trigger for more in depth work up for me.