Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

cat: my Vet, just wanting another opinion on which drug might work

Lung digit syndrome -question about managing the pain (with what medication?) for my cat and when to know when I need to intercede. I have some from my Vet, just wanting another opinion on which drug might work best for her in her case.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
Hi there.

I am sorry that Cricket has been diagnosed with this terrible disease. Because this is a primary Pulmonary Metastasis Neoplasia to the digits, this is a very serious and painful condition which you already know. The medications that your vet has you on are the best to relieve pain and inflammation. In this condition, I have also added Metcam if this combination is not working as well as you would like for your precious Cricket. This is part of a Non steroidal anti inflammatory medication whereas the Buprenorphine is a synthetic opiate which is much stronger than morphine and is very affective for pain relief.

Ask your vet about this...

Good Luck!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Loretta:

One Vet had given me Tramadol pills - would those work any better for her toe pain than the buprenorphine? I am struggling with having to give her pills, though, especially the bitter ones (plavix). I will ask my Vet about the metacam, thanks. That is OK to take with the predinsone + the buprenorphine?
The Buprenorphine is much stringer than any of them, even the Tramadol. Since These all work in different ways, you can give all 3 together. The Metacam can cause a digestive issue in rare cases.

I certainly understand that you are trying to keep your precious Cricket as pain free as possible and you are doing everything you can...good for you!!