Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

my cat has lost her hair on both sides of her body. It started

my cat has lost her hair on both sides of her body. It started out as a small patch and has progressively gotten worse. How do I treat this problem
Hi there. Symmetric hair loss is usually either caused by an endocrine abnormality, or by obsessive grooming. If the fur in those areas is short and looks broken off, it is likely from grooming. If it is more bare, or doesn't look broken, it may be an endocrine abnormality. You should have your vet check some endocrine things like thyroid levels, for starters. If its from grooming, talk to your vet about trying possible anti-depressant medications, because those can sometimes help. There isn't anything you can do at home to treat this until we know the cause. Best of luck.