Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD. 47 years experience.

My cat has a red weeping sore like rash around his eyes and

My cat has a red weeping sore like rash around his eyes and mouth. Help?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Denise Colgrove :

I would like to ask a few questions to better understand Simba's problem. Has he ever had this before? Does he go outside? Does he have any weepy bumps on the nose as well? If you look at his gums are they OK? Look at his feet around the claws and pads and see if that looks OK. Is he doing any sneezing? Is he acting OK otherwise?

He has had this off an on for the three years I have had him. He does not go outside. His nose is clear. His gums are okay but he does have bad teeth and has been deemed not a good risk to be put to sleep to remove them, so they remain. His feet are okay. He is not sneezing and seems okay otherwise. He does have some scabbing also near his ears. Not in them, but at the base of the part of the ear that leads into the inner ear. He does shake his head while this is occuring so it seems that this is related. Thanks!

Denise Colgrove :

Thank you. This may be allergy or one of the immune mediated diseases called phemigus. You would need to have a biopsy taken to find out for sure. They would both respond to prednisolone. That is a prescription drug and would need your veterinarian to have a look at Simba and prescribe it. In the meantime I would try antihistamine and see if that helps. Chlorpheniramine or trade name Chlortrimeton would be good. 1 to 1/2 of a 4 mg tablet twice daily. That is available over the counter at a drug store.