Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

From what I can tell (ASPCA website) Agapanthus is not a toxic plant to a cat. It is not o

From what I can tell (ASPCA website) Agapanthus is not a toxic plant to a cat. It is not of the same genus as the lily. However, since my seven year old sweet male cat ate a little flower.I want to make sure it is not toxic. Dr Jodi ... I notice you like praise and worship music. I work at K-LOVE - its a wonderful christian radio station. Thanks! Dawn
By the way... he has no symptoms of distress.
From what I can find, it seems that most gardening sites are clumping that in with the lilies, and it sounds like they may be at least related. The real question is, why take a chance? If it is toxic, the toxic properties will most likely affect the kidneys (given the type of flower), and a simple blood test will allow you and your vet to evaluate kidney function.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi... thank you Christine. So, my question is whether Agapanthus is toxic to cats or not. I was hoping to find out from one of the experts.

I have already considered what you are suggesting (since I spoken to my cat's vet's office earlier today and they suggested going to the ASPCA site to see if the flower is listed there).

In regard to your question, if only it were so easy, it's because the cost of emergency veterinary care will come out of my budget for food for my two daughters. Tough call, I know.

Thanks so much anyway. Dawn

Well, that flower isn't on the ASPCA list, so I am going by gardening/plant experts online who are calling it toxic to cats.
Good luck, I hope your cat does well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Hi. So, I appreciate the suggestion the Dr. provided ... but, it was not an answer to the question I posed. Also, the reason why I chose the original Dr. suggested (but, she did not answer) was because she has 15 years experience and may have had a similar case in all those years. make sense? :~).

The question again: Is ingesting 1 small flower from the Agapanthus plant known to be toxic/deadly to cats? This is not an easy question I know, since it is not a lily or of that genus (which is very toxic). I appreciate your help though. Perhaps, it is just not known.
From my veterinary search, a veterinary from the ASPCA says that Agapanthus may cause some GI upset or dermal irritation, but is NOT a member of the Liliacea genus and is NOT toxic like the lilies are.

I don't think you need to rush your cat to the emergency vet. If you are still concerned, you can wait until Monday and have your regular vet do a quick blood test to check BUN and creatinine and make sure they aren't elevated. Your regular vet should be much less expensive that the emergency vet.

Hope that helps!
Dr. Scarlett, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.