Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My cat has a red chapped and swollen rectum.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is he having diarrhea? Is there feces stuck in the hair around his anus? Is he licking a lot back there? Is he rubbing his rear end on the ground? Is there swelling just to either side of the anus, just below it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is licking alot. I haven't seen him rubbing his rear. There is some swelling, but his testicles look droopy. We don't know anything about his feces, but his rear is clean and very red.

FYI - he was a stray, stays outside, we had him neutered 1 1/2 years ago. He left us for over 1 year [while we were on vacation] and now has returned. He's friendly, and comes around every 2days or so. We're feeding him dry food only, and he's really skinny now.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is it possible for you to take a picture of the rectum and post it to your next message, using the "tree" icon on the toolbar above? You can also post it on a picture sharing website. Just make sure I have access. If not, that okay, I can probably still help you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, we finally got the pics. He seems to leave after eating so it took a while to get him again.

Great. Are you able to post them?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the picture. You said he is neutered, right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the information. From the picture, it looks like his testicles are very swollen. Very odd for a neutered cat. I suspect that he has an infection in that area. With the swelling, most likely it is an abscess. Usually these are from a fight or bite wound. The drainage most likely collected into his scrotal sac. It would probably be best to have your vet check it out. At the vary least he needs to be on antibiotics. Even if there isn't a definable abscess, it looks infected. If it is abscessed, they may need to drain it. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.