Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My cat has a weeping a cold in the eye . What do

My cat has a weeping a "cold in the eye". What do I do
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this via the internet I can tell you the following :

What Bella has developed is likely to be a common eye infections such as pink eye { or conjunctivitis } this would normally be treated with an antibiotic eye drop, two to three drops would be applied to the eye three times a day for four or five days. If this turns out to be the diagnosis it is usually of little concern and will normally easily clear up. Of course be aware though that other diagnosis would be possible such as eye ulcers or foreign objects in the eye.

I am sorry I cannot suggest any home remedy here as most small animal vets will have seen eye problems which have gone wrong in a spectacular and irretrievable fashion following a wrong diagnosis or delay in treatment. Another factor is that if this is indeed a conjunctivitis the appropriate eye drops are usually prescription drugs which you will not be able to get over the counter. My advice to you therefor has to be to have your vet check the cat out as soon as possible.

In the meantime you would not be doing any harm by gently irrigating Bella's eye with luke warm water two or three times a day.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I use Normal Saline eye drops?
Hello again,

Normal saline eye drops would not do any harm and would be a reasonable thing to do on a short term basis until you can have your vet take a look ...

Good luck,