Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.
31668627

My cat is suddenly losing hair on his nose and face

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer.

I am here to help you out.

I do have a few questions to help me give you the best answer.

1) Where exactly is this ? How big? How long has it been there?

2) What does the skin look like underneath?

3) Is this an indoor -- outdoor kitty?

Thanks -- no charge for info requests

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is right on his nose and is spreading the the area near his whiskers. The skin underneath is pink with no rash. He is indoor/outdoor.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer.

This is consistent with ringworm -- which is a simple fungal infection that comes from soil. It is contagious to people -- so I would care to wash my hands after handling this kitty. This can be treated with fungal cream -- but cats are often so effective at removing the cream that a systemic treatment (oral) is often more effctive.

This can be diagnosed by culture -- but frequently will be diagnosed by response to treatment.

Other possible reasons for this could be

1) Allergy with rubbing of the nose due to itching -- often see other areas of skin issues as well

2) Autoimmune disease -- would be diagnosed by appearance and biopsy

3) Mite -- need to do a skin scraping or biopsy

Considering the age of your cat, a vet visit would be the best way to treat this. You can attempt to use micaonazole cream (athletes foot fungal treatment) 3 times daily adn see if it is improving or not spreading in 7 days. IF it spreads further -- a vet visit is a necessity.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian