Dr. Bruce, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery

what can cause low white blood cell count in cats FIV and

Customer Question

what can cause low white blood cell count in cats? FIV and Felv were neg.. 2 wk course of antibiotic did not help.. white cell count cont to drop...
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
It is good that the FeLV and FIV tests are negative. This says that the virus is not in the blood serum. BUT, the virus can still be present sequestered in the bone marrow and causing the low white blood cell count. So, I'd consider getting bone marrow aspirate and core biopsy and sending off for analysis. I would absolutely make sure that the blood samples that are being checked are being evaluated correctly. Sending them off to a lab will help to make sure it isn't a machine error.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what can be done to try to help increase the white blood cell count for a cat?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
At this point, there really isn't anything that is a white blood cell stimulant so to say. I would make sure that the blood samples are evaluated by an outside lab with a smear to get accurate counts. The best that you can do is to make sure nutrition is good and that any other issues are addressed as soon as possible - such as infections.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
does not have knowledge of needed answer.. need more holistic vet
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.

First things first. I do not treat a laboratory result, I treat a patient. Tell me what is wrong with Luke.

What clinical signs are you seeing that required a course of antibiotics and testing for FeLV and FIV?

Do you know the values of his CBC (white blood cells and red blood cells and platelet counts)?

Is he still eating/drinking?

Is there any vomiting/diarrhea?

Does he ever go outside? If so, what percentage of the time?