Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

my cat weighs 20 pounds which the vet says is o.k. because

my cat weighs 20 pounds which the vet says is o.k. because he's a "big" cat. he's recently developed the habit of everytime he hears me going into the bathroom he'll run in there, jump up on the sink and wait for me to turn the water on and will drink until i turn the water off. he also sits on the sink all day and stares at the sink like he's waiting for it to come on. he also has an occasional sneeze/cough. any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 6 years ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Does he eat a lot?

Any increase in urination? Increase in urine clumps in the litter box?

How long has the sneezing/coughing been going on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i've been cutting back a little on his food but it is available to him all day. he does urinate alot but i dismissed that to his drinking so much. he has a good coat , good grooming and no other signs or symptoms. his stools are normal also. he's not going to the bathroom anywher except his litter box.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

I would suspect there is one of the following problems going on: hyperthyroidism, diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, and cancer. These all lead to similar clinical signs as you have described, especially the increase in water consumption and urination. I would highly suggest to take him to your vet for exam, bloodwork, and urinalysis. These are the bare minimum tests needed to determine the underlying culprit, so the proper treatment regiment can be prescribed.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.