Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal vet 17 yrs. Hospital owner. AVMA,CVMA,DVMS member
12265053

My cat is bleeding from his anus. He must have gone to the

My cat is bleeding from his anus. He must have gone to the litter box and when he came out there was a small trail of blood on the floor. I lifted his tail and he had blood on his anus. He is acting fine, no vomiting or any apparent diarrhea but he was straining earlier today. My vet is closed till tomorrow so is this something I can take him in for tomorrow or today?

Hi ppkxxf1t,

Thank you for using justanswer. I am sorry that Archie is having problems. blood from the anus can be a result of several problems including colitis, constipation, parasites, or an anal gland abscess.

Since Archie is acting fine right now, I think it is ok for you to monitor him until tomorrow when your regular veterinarian is open and can see him. If Archie begins vomiting, becomes lethargic or begins straining to go to the bathroom without being able to produce anything however, I would take him in to the emergency vet today.

Best wishes to Archie for a speedy recovery!

Dr. Kris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He was straining a little earlier today but did get out a couple small pieces of hard stool. This is the first time I have seen him do that and he went on playing and acting normal and ate like if nothing. Is this normal behavior if he was in pain?

I would not expect him to be acting so normal if he was in pain. The hard stools that he passed earlier may indicate that he has a little constipation and that would explain the straining and bit of blood that you are seeing. I would monitor his subsequent stools and if they remain small and hard, your veterinarian may find that an enema is necessary to help him pass the remainder of the hard stools. However, it sounds like he is comfortable and stable for right now.

Dr. Kris