Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My cat has hair loss under his chin and I cant tell if it

My cat has hair loss under his chin and I can't tell if it is that he has been playing hard with his brother or something else. I haven't taken him to a Vet yet,but wanted to know the causes. There is a patch of very pink skin under his chin.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet from your description I think it highly likely that any skin lesions which a cat has in the chin area may be related to some form of a condition called cat acne. What you may be seeing is the start of the disease.

Feline Acne is a relatively common disease and mainly occurs in the chin area though in some rare cases it can affect the upper and lower lips as well. The disease can be quite variable and will range from hair loss and inflammation through to blackheads and quite infected spots. The good thing about this disease is that while this it is ugly to look at it rarely affects the cat very much and does not bother them. This condition occurs in all ages of cats, and is generally regarded as a trivial disease although the odd case may be secondary to immunosuppression.

Here is a link to a photo I took at my clinic of this condition : LINK

Mild cases may actually require no treatment except perhaps a cleansing shampoo now and again. More severe case would benefit from an antibacterial/anti-malassezia wash once a week, and very severe cases where there is a deep pyoderma [ skin infection ] may be put on a course of antibiotics in addition to the wash.

If you want to try and treat this on a home remedy basis I am aware that some owners use a dilute solution of Hibiscrub { 1 : 4 dilution } as a wash on the affected area and report success. They may do this once or twice a week, Hibiscrub is available over the counter from the chemist.

This is a condition which responds well to treatment but recurrence is likely in some cases so it may be best to have your vet take a look.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That is very helpful, the area is below the chin at the top of the neck, would that be the same thing, in addition he is scratching the area is there anything I can do so the scratching does not aggrevate it?

Hello again,

Thanks for the new information.

If this is an itchy lesion and the cat is scratching at it then it makes it less likely that this is cat acne as allergic skin disease is very common in this area as well. With any suspect allergic skin condition in the cat it is always wise to control fleas, while they may not be directly responsible they are often a trigger factor and some cats are allergic to a small protein in the saliva of the flea which it passes when it bites.

If this is a allergic skin condition it may well be that prescription drugs from your vet would be the best way to clear it up quickly and make your cat more comfortable but I am aware that some owners apply the likes of Neosporin cream or 0.5% or 1% Hydrocortisone Cream twice a day for a week and report success.