CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

are they any home remedy treatments for snake bites on cat

Customer Question

are they any home remedy treatments for snake bites on cats
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

If your cat was bitten by a snake -- seeking veterinary care with your veterinarian or local ER is recommended.

This can be quite serious including infection, blood pressure, and heart rate changes.

If there is no local vet or ER open or available - below are recommendations, but as soon as possible, please go to your vet or the ER for evaluation.

At home recommendations until you are able to see a vet:

1) Administer Benadryl at home. The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 15 pound cat should receive 15mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 8 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

2) Cold compress - you can apply a cold compress to the area every 6 hours for 10-15 minutes if tolerated to reduce swelling and inflammation.

I hope this information is helpful :)
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.