Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

My cat is losing her hair. Her skin is flaky. The problem

My cat is losing her hair. Her skin is flaky. The problem was on her side and has gravitated up to her spine and is starting down the other side. She seems to be in stress her personality has changed. she doesn't like to be touched. she hides during the day has has tried to have no interaction with people or the other cats. The vet took a skin sample for analysis and after over two weeks is unable to diagnose the problem. She suggested a collar but I think that would only make the cat more paranoid. I'd like to get the skin problem fixed. The cat has been under stress lately with contractors building a deck outside. I've considered getting some liquid benadryl to relieve the sensitivity. I use Revolution on all three cats. It is not mange. The vet has suggested bringing her in for further lab work. I thought that was what the $100 for the other lab work was for. I'd appreciate your advice.
Thanx,
Hello there,

Is the cat itchy or grooming excessively?

Are there any scabs on the skin?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

she seems to be very sensitive to touch. she does groom excessively. there are scabs on her skin. very small ones, however

Small scabs on the skin usually indicates milliary dermatitis. It is caused by inhaled allergens or fleas. Pollen, molds and dust mites are most common. Mild cases are treated with oral antihistamines. Severe cases usually require a long acting steroid injection. Most last 3-4 months in cats. Oral Benadryl can be used at 1/2-1 mg per pound body weight every 8 hours as needed for mild cases. Stress can cause excessive shedding, but should not cause scabs on the skin or excessive grooming. There is also another cause called psychogenic alopecia. It is a behavioral problem. If antihistamines do not help, drugs like Prozac and amitriptyline are used.