Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My cat cant hold her head up and is losing weight fast. She

My cat can't hold her head up and is losing weight fast. She is able to eat though. She seems dilerious and is walking is circles. I have absolutely zero dollars to take her to a vet.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Does she carry her head down?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Is she drinking more then usual?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes she carries her head down. She also is walking around in circles. I think she is drinking more. Her bowl was empty
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

This symptom is typical when cats have low potassium (hypokalemia). This is very serious as they can die if untreated. It usually happens as a result of kidney disease. Walking around in circles is probably a symptom secondary to whatever has caused her potassium to be low. Unfortunately, this case truly needs a veterinarian. If you can not have her seen by a vet the only thing you could do is supplement her with pedialyte which has potassium in it; but, the underlying cause has not been addressed and she will probably continue to be hypokalemic.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What steps will the vet take to treat this? and is it very expensive?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.
They will need to take some blood work to determine if this is as a result of kidney disease and measure the potassium levels. Then, she will need an IV to get potassium IV in addition to fluids. Cost varies from clinic to clinic but, you are looking at least 3 or 4 hundred dollars.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if it is kidney disease, I read that it is incurable. Will I need to have her put down?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

It is not curable but it is treatable. If she is in complete renal failure, then putting her to sleep in an option.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is it a one time treatment or is it something that will have to be treated for the rest of her life?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

For the rest of her life.