Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

What is the children's benadryl dosage for cats?

I was told it was from .5 - 2mg per pound but all my syringes are in ml or cc/ml.

What is the conversion?

Hi there,

Children's Benadryl contains 2.5mg per ml of solution. Clouseau should get 1 mg per 1 lb of body weight. So if he is 10lbs for example, he should get 10mg, or 4ml of the solution. This is quite a large amount, so if he won't take it, you may want to use tablets, at same dose...

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am afraid that 4ml is too much. It measured out to be a regular spoonful. The package directions said 1-2 teaspoons for a child of 6 to under 12 years of age, who weigh well over 10lbs. I am afraid that it would overdose my cat. My cat also has cancer and has survived well past the predictions. I don't want to hurt him just because he has excessive itching once in a while. Please verify dosage.
4mls of Children's Benadryl equals 10mg, which is the appropriate dose for a 7-12lb cat and will not hurt him. The only concern is the large amount of liquid that may be difficult to give to a cat by mouth. Drug dosages for cats/dogs may be quite different than for humans, and are usually larger. Whichever formulation you use, give 1mg per 1lb of body weight. Adult Benadryl is 25mg per tablet so you could give 1/2 tablet if he's between 7-12lbs. You can give this dose up to 3 times daily.