Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior

my cats breathing has become laboured and sounds raspy in

Customer Question

my cats breathing has become laboured and sounds "raspy" in the last 24 hrs, during which time he will not drink water, nor eat and to my knowledge has not gone to the bathroom. He emains in his basket and is very letharic. could he having congestive heart failure due to hypertrpohic cardiomyopathy?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• Does he have any eye or nose drainage?
  • Did this occur quickly?
  • Does he have any other health problems?
  • Is he indoor or outdoor?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No eyeor nose drainage. nose is dy to touch.
Yes, most severe symptoms in last 24-72 hrs. No appetite,no interest in cuddly or being touched. Started to snore during sleep, but now generally breathing appears to be somewhat laboured. (making noise)
He seems to be limping slightly when walking.
He has been an indoor cat his entire life with me since 8 weeks.
No previous major health issues.

Thank you for the information. There are several possible causes:

• Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is certainly possible and could cause fluid buildup in the lungs called pulmonary edema to cause these symptoms. X-rays and usually ultrasound of the heart are necessary for diagnosis.
  • Cats can get Asthma as well. It is fairly common and can occur this suddenly. Treatment typically involves steroid medications and x-rays are necessary for diagnosis.
  • Pneumonia is also possible but less likely in a cat that is always indoors.

It is definitely best to have him seen immediately. Quick treatment can be crucial for survival in these cases. If you have more questions please let me know.

Do you have any more questions I can answer for you?