Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.

my cat is pregnant. she has been dripping a little blood here

my cat is pregnant. she has been dripping a little blood here and there for 3 days now, and today started to drag her behind across the floor leaving a trail on anything in the way. does this mean something?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jay Mawhinney replied 4 years ago.
Hi
She should not be dripping blood other than after delivering the kittens. Bloody discharge before and especially for 3 days makes me think she may be aborting the kittens or has endometritis(inflammation/infection of the uterus) and is not pregnant. If she is at term, she is going way too long before delivering the kittens after the cervix has opened. Go to your veterinarian or even an emergency clinic tonight if possible but no longer than tomorrow.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Please, if you agree with my advice, hit the accept button on your question. Also you need to deposit the fee first if you have not already done so. This is the only way we receive our commission on the payment.
thanks.We are not examining your animal and can only advise and give suggestions relative to your description.It is against the practice act and in direct violation of our license to do otherwise.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It may not actually be blood. I can only describe it as a "bloody discharge" because that is what it looks like. It is a discharge that is blood tinged. It is very infrequent. I have only seen it once per day for the last 3 days, but she has started "calling" just recently. I am unable to tell when it is that she would be term due to not knowing when she became pregnant.

HI
Blood tinged discharge really should be either. A clear or slightly opaque mucous discharge might be present the last week or so but not blood tinged. Again have her checked out. She may be ok but she really shouldn't have any blood in the discharge before "queening"/delivering.

Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thank you. Should she deliver tonight (before I am able to get her into a vet), what signs should I look for so that I may be ready? I have not been around when my other queens have delivered in the past. Thank you so much for your help.
Hi
Her body temperature(rectal temp) will usually drop below 100 degrees 12-24 hours before queening. However cats aren't as consistent as dogs in this. She will look for a quiet place usually and will have visible contractions. She will be restless also. Check her temperature if possible. Good luck on this.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience: 34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.