Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

so my cat hasnt had a bowel movement for 4 days now, going

Customer Question

so my cat hasn't had a bowel movement for 4 days now, going on five. She is still eatin and drinking but not eating as much over the last 2-3 days. She is alert and doesn't seem to be in any distress, she is peeing fine. She is currently on lactulose twice a day, about 2cc each time. She had an episode of constipation about 2 months ago, she was vomiting and had not had a bowel movement in 4 days at the time. Took her to emergency at a vet hospital and had to be disimpacted. After that she was switched to canned food and the lactulose started. I had a hard time to get her to switch to the canned food and was eating ok until a few days ago. She still drinks water well. My cat hates the vet office, so I have two questions. First, should I be rushing her to the hospital? or should I just take her to the vet? Also can I give her an enema at home?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

If she is still eating and drinking, it is not an emergency but she should be examined by your vet. Enemas at home can cause bigger problems and can be dangerous if they have not shown you how to do it and you do not have a product specifically dosed for animals.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
about my cat not eating as much, is it because she's constipated? also what about a warm water enema?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
If the colon is impacted again, that will cause a decreased appetite. Warm water enemas only help at all if something type of lubricant, like dish soap is added to help the feces break up and pass.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you. I guess I'll take her to the vet in the morning.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck!