Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

my cat has blood in his stool and is sneezing and has watery

my cat has blood in his stool and is sneezing and has watery eyes what could be wrong?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

How long has this been going on?

How much blood are you seeing?

Does the cat go outside?

Is he straining in the litter box to defecate?

What medication is he on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The blood has been going on for about a month that I noticed.
It looks fresh when it comes out - that is why the Dr. thought it was irritation in the bowel. It is just scattered on the feces. When the vet put a thermometer there to take his temp - it had blood on it when he pulled it out.
He does not go outside.
I haven't noticed him straining - but I don't see him go.
I'm at work so I can't think of the medicine - but it is liquid white, by mouth and I keep thinking something like chlormezinine (I'm probably way off!)

Please help! I love Fred.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Blood in the stool can be caused by several things in cats. It results from an inflamed colon. Colitis can be caused be inflammatory bowel syndrome, infection, food allergy, parasites, polyps, ulcers and several immune mediated types of colitis. If the medication did not help and the problem has been going on for weeks, a limited ingredient diet should be given for 6-8 weeks to rule out food allergy. If the problem persists, an anti-inflammatory should be given to help the colon heal. Some cases can be cured and others can only be managed. The sneezing and runny eyes may be related to a food allergy or may not be related to the colon problem at all. Herpes virus, inhaled allergens and sinusitis are also possible causes. I would put the cat on a food trial first. if there is no improvement, I would start the cat on a low dose prednisone trial for 2-3 weeks to see if the colon problems and sneezing will stop. If not, diagnostic tests are needed to attempt to find the underlying cause.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After going to another vet - he said he thinks he has an upper respiratory infection along with a bowel irritation. He put him on clavomox and metronidazel (sp?). Fred is still sneezing a lot and seems to have congestion in his nose. I hope they are right and that part is just a cold.

Could any of this have to do with anxiety? I have another cat - ginger - they are brother and sister. Suddenly she has started hissing at him. They used to get along very well and play, sleep, eat together. There is a cat that looks like fred that comes to the back window and they both get very upset when the cat is around. That is when I noticed her beginning to jump on him and hiss at him. Now that he is sick she is doing it even more - she will sniff him then hiss.

I'm grasping at straws about the anxiety - but how do I fix that?!

Thanks for all your help! Anne
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Anxiety from another cat can easily cause the hissing and grumpy behavior, but it is not a factor with respiratory infections or intestinal problems. The antibiotics may take 10-14 days to see improvement if the problems have been chronic.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.