Dr. Bruce, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

I have a male cat with a broken hind leg,and I have no money

Customer Question

I have a male cat with a broken hind leg,and I have no money at all,Is there some place that can set his leg?Like a training clinic? we live in limerick pa 19468
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

How do you know the leg is broken?

Having asked that, assuming it is broken. There are a few options. Some clinics will accept care credit, which is a credit card that is for veterinary care. You would need to ask at the clinic if they accept it.

You can also try the local humane society. Some humane societies will see pets and take care of them at a deep discount, but not all. You would need to ask.

Finally, cats are amazing when it comes to healing from broken bones. In cases like this, sometimes just restricting the cat's activity for 4-8 weeks is sufficient to allow the bone to heal. It is very common for cats to have broken bones heal with no lasting effects whatsoever.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Bruce,I had this happen to a female cat 20 years ago ,took it to a vet they tried to set it.$ 340.some reason my wife took it to a sergion they exray and said it needed pins,After a month we took her back and the proceedure needed to be reperformed at there cost,she wore the second cast for three months $1400 dollars later our cat was fine and died of kidney failure at 15 years old. So should I splint the leg and rap it with tape?When you say restict activity does that mean I should keep him in a cage?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I do mean cage rest. I would NOT recommend splinting or taping the leg. Just leaving it alone but not letting him move around is often all that needs to be done. Like I said before, cats can be amazing with their ability to heal broken bones.

However, I would encourage having him seen by a vet so that a diagnosis can be made. There are many other possibilities for a limping cat besides a broken bone. Dislocations, ligament ruptures, and severe infections can all appear the same as a fracture. Even if you elect to cage rest him for 4-8 weeks, Thomas may need pain medication, and/or antibiotics if there is any infection.

Good luck with Thomas.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am broke and can't pay for a vet visit,thomas will just have to suffer. thanks for your advice,I think I been had in the past, over the barrel as they say.have a great day
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

I would rather not hear that you will let your cat suffer. Although there is a risk of side effects, you can give Thomas aspirin but at a very low dose. Give him 1/2 of an 81mg aspirin every 2 days. No more than that, and only as needed if he seems uncomfortable.

I'm sorry you feel as if you have been had, I am only trying to help you and your cat.

You are not required to pay if you are not happy with the answers I am giving you.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thank you for your help it was my past experiences, that i was had. I was just reading reviews of animal hospital in my area ,and it seems to be there are more bad then good,I can understand wanting to make a profit,but thats not your problem .I except your advice and thank you for caring enough to take the time to help the owners peice of mind.I will accept answer button after I push reply. again thank you...
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

I see. I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences in the past. As is so true in life, there is always good and bad out there.

Good luck with Thomas and I hope he does well.

Dr. Bruce, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your expert advice Thomas made a full recovery,and runs and plays like a kitten again .you get a 5 ****** rating in my book
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me with an update on Thomas. I'm so glad to hear that he is doing well and back to his normal self.

Take care and happy New Year!