Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and Practice owner. 12+ years of practice
21393945

My vet prescribed profender on both my cats to help with tapeworm

My vet prescribed profender on both my cats to help with tapeworm I just noticed. Now one of my cats is scratching like crazy under her chin. I bought some over the counter flea medicine and I wonder is it safe to put that on the back of her neck where I put the profender or do I need to wait in order to do that?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 4 years ago.

Most of the over the counter flea meds (with the exception of Advantage that recently went OTC) are not overly effective and some can be toxic in cats so be careful. I would discuss the use of a product such as Frontline for fleas which may be better for long term therapy since the flea is the intermediate host for some species of tapeworms. This may reduce the odds of having to use the profender again. In the event you do buy frontline, advantage or revolution, I would wait about a week after applying the profender before applying the other treatment. I hope this helps and gives you direction.

Thanks

Dr. jeff

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thank you. However she is scratching her neck so much that she is bleeding a bit. I assume this is fleas? Is scratching a side effect of Profender?

Any topical can cause some mild irritation, but if you have an active flea issue, this could also be the culprit. You may ask your vet about a oral flea product called capstar. This is a short term treatment until you can apply a topical but it will help. You may also discuss a treatment with your vet that will reduce the irritation such as a antihistamine or steroid. These will at least provide relief until you get the flea problem under control. If you need to control the environment and you decide to use a spray, bomb or fogger, the key to success is vaccuum all surfaces first, the use the treatment, then repeat the vaccuuming. You then repeat these steps in exactly 2 weeks. The prevaccuum help hatch eggs so the hatchlings can be killed by the fogger. Just an extra thought.

I hope this helps and gives you direction.

thanks

Dr. Jeff

Doctor Jeff, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal General Practitioner and Practice owner. 12+ years of practice