Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

why does my cat smell like vomit, and her vomits look like

why does my cat smell like vomit, and her vomits look like feces?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

Is the cat able to keep food and water down?

How often is the cat vomiting?

How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am not sure how much of the food the cat keeps down. he is vomiting - and it looks and smells like feces - about 4 times a day. it has been going on for the last 3 - 4 days. also the cat smells like vomit all the time
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
If the vomit smells like feces, it is coming from the small intestine and is already digested. The most common cause is an obstruction within the intestines. I have pulled all sorts of things out of cat intestines. String, coins, toys, plastic, rocks, buttons, sewing needles and bones are just a few. They can also develop mechanical problems within the intestines where it stops pushing food through normally, gets backed up and leads to the vomiting. Any type of toxin ingestion that can affect the liver or kidneys is also possible. If this has been going on for 4 days, the abdomen should be radiographed to rule out an obstruction. If something is found, surgery may be needed.