Doctor 4 Cats
Doctor 4 Cats, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Board certified feline specialist. 22 years specializing in the medical needs of cats.

my cat has black gunk in his eyes why is this

Customer Question

my cat has black gunk in his `eyes why is this ?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor 4 Cats replied 6 years ago.

Your cat is producing extra tears, probably from a upper respiratory virus or environmental irritant. Then the tears dry in the corners leaving the pigmented discharge. If you have a flat faced cat with prominent eyes, their eyes are always extra exposed.

Check for irritants around the house: hoods on the litterbox, dust, deodorizers in the litter, potpourri, cleaners, carpet fresheners, plants in the house, fireplace or cigarette smoke, etc,

If it's a virus as long as your cat continues to eat and has no colored (yellow/green) discharges from its nose or eyes, the signs you are seeing should resolve in 5-7 days. A virus in the eyes can just become a chronic problem.

If your cat stops eating, develops more significant discharges, or if the signs worsen or persist, call your veterinarian for an examination.

Hope this helps. If so please click<accept> so that we will be here to answer other questions like