Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My cat keeps licking his penis & is acting kinda funny when

My cat keeps licking his penis & is acting kinda funny when I try to pick him up. He doesn't have any bloating or any feeling of balls or cysts in his stomach. I don't know what to do... I am scared & worried he is in lots of pain.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to be honest here in saying that one of two things is going on with your Riven.
1) Urethral blockage - absolutely my number one suspicion given he's in pain and licking his penis.
2) Urinary tract infection.

I've recieved a call almost 3 to 5 times a week at the ER clinic almost to a T describing your situation. 97% of them ended up having a urethral obstruction. The pain and licking, absolutely scream a blocked tom cat. The male's penis at the tip narrows and this is where debris can lodge and block them. When it does, they are in a very emergent situation. They need to be unblocked or they will die. I again want to stress this. This is why I'm going to say get him to your vet or the ER clinic immediately for an evaluation. If he's blocked - they will tell you what they can dop.

Quite honestly, you need to get him in now for that exam. Sorry to seem so extreme but if he's blocked you'll thank me. If he's not blocked in the urethra and instead he's got a urinary tract infection, your little guy will still thank me because he'll be feeling better.

Here's a link on urethral blockages to also read.