Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years in feline medicine,surgery, and teaching. Special emphasis on educating owners.

Is there anything that I can give my cat to calm him down

Customer Question

Is there anything that I can give my cat to calm him down? He's very hyper this time of year and he's been neutered.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answers. I am here to help you out.

It sounds like this is just increased "normal" activity -- especially for a cat that was outdoors -- and with all the allures of springtime going on right now.

Non medical things to try

1) feliway diffuser or spray -- this is a phermonal product that is the first thing to do with many behavior issues. It basically is the scent of the calming mother cat. People do not small it -- but can be a wonderful adjunct for any cat behavior issue.

2) Cat nip -- the old stand by in toys and bedding can have wonderful effects that are safe -- but short lasting. It may be good to have some toys to play with him when he is getting anxious or hyper. Something acceptable to direct this energy to. The toys that are active -- that go in circles or jump up can be a wonderful release for some pent up energy.

3) Rescue remedy -- - this is a mix of herbal supplements. I have had owners comment positively on its use. Give 20-30 minutes before an event -- it basically calms the cat down --- may make them sleepy.

These three are over the counter -- My best bet would be to run some of that energy off in acceptable play at a regular time each day. This routine energy release will become expected and channel the activity to a specific time.

If more advanced -- there are prescription medications that are stronger -- but would need a vet visit to obtain and regular followup to continue use.

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian