Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My vet suggested I give my cat pepcid ac 1/4 tablet one a day

My vet suggested I give my cat pepcid ac 1/4 tablet one a day for 4 days. My vet's office is closed now and need to know if the pepcid ac (extra strength) chewable is OK to use or if there is a different one I should be using that is just for cats.

I want to start the medicine tonight and need to know for sure that this will not hurt her. I plan to crush the chewable tablet and sprinkle it in a small amount of chicken baby food. I know it is usually given on an empty stomach but she is extremely difficult to pill and I figure it is worth trying to give her some relief from her chronic tummy troubles. She is 11 years old and weighs about 8 lbs. She has a complete blood workup and everything looks fine. At this point, I just want to treat the symptoms to improve her appetite so she can gain a little weight.

Thanks for answering as soon as possible.

Carol Morse
Hi Carol,

We typically use 10 mg tablets and give 1/4 of a tablet. If the extra strength is 20 mg, then I would try to get regular strength. The medication is Famotidine and we use the same one that is available over the counter for people. The actual dose is 0.25 mg/lb every 12-24 hours, but this usually turns out to be 2.5 mg or 1/4 of a 10 mg tab.

You can crush it and put it in food if you need to.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your quick reply. I cannot go out and get the regular strength medication tonight. Will it hurt her if I give her 1/8 of the 20 mg the extra strength. I can go out tomorrow and try to find the regular strength kind, but all I have been seeing in the local stores is the extra strength. Please let me know if you think it would be alright to to giver this one, if only tonight until I can get out tomorrow.

You can safely give 1/8 or even 1/4 of the 20 mg tablet without worrying. Pepcid is very safe and it takes grams (not kg but grams!) to really overdose.