Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

my cat has what looks like corns or callouses on both front

my cat has what looks like corns or callouses on both front paw pads. What do I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 4 years ago.

Do they seem to be bothering her or causing her any discomfort? Is she biting at them or licking them excessively?

Does she have ingrown nails that are causing them?

Thanks and I will reply when you respond.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, they bother him when he walks and he won't let me touch his pads. He doesn't lick them except when I try the burt's bees balm. No ingrown nails that we can see. we have tough time cutting his nails because of the callouses. He doesn't like his feet touched.

He is about 22 pounds and limps a little because of the sores

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 4 years ago.

First, I am sorry for calling George a "her". I know that always bothers me.

Has he been seen by your vet to have these evaluated yet?

Are they hard or soft to the touch?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Vet says to soften them with the burt's bees and have him scratch his post more often?

They are hard to the touch and sometimes pieces come off (yuck)

He is hard to treat with the ointment so I was hoping for a easier way to soften them?

Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like what you may be describing are cutaneous horns that can occur on the footpads of cats, especially if they pull off. There are other keratin disorders that can cause crusting, but they are not common and can only be diagnosed with biopsy. If these are horns, make sure George has been tested for Feline Leukemia as there is some thought that these are related to virus positive status.

Unfortunately, there is not an easy way to deal with these horns, even though they are benign lesions. Soaking to soften sometimes helps, but the cat's hate it. If they get very painful, sometime the whole pad is surgically removed.

There was a veterinary product available awhile back called Kerasolv which is a salicylic acid to help soften the crusts. To my knowledge, it is not longer available. There is a human equivalent called Kerasal (available in the foot care section), but I do worry about using too much of it if he would lick it off as the salicylic acid is not good for cats to ingest. I would stick with the bag balm or lanolin.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks - that was what I was afraid of - not much product out there that he can ingest. I will get him appointment with vet for testing sometime in the near future, thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome and good luck with George.
Dr. Z., Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.