Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

My cat seems to be leaking urine. Why

My cat seems to be "leaking" urine. Why?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

How old is the cat?

Male or female?

Is the cat leaking when laying down or when walking as well?

How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is 7 years old. I think just when laying down. On Friday, my daughter found a wet spot on her bed (which is where Reese sleeps most of the time). We cleaned everything, but it happened again on Sunday morning. Then again today. But just now, Reese was laying on my lap and when she got up I had a small wet spot on my pants that smelled like urine.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
If the problem occurs when the cat is laying down, incontinence is most likely. It is not a common problem in cats. The sphincter in the bladder stops functioning normally. Bladder stones can also cause leakage. A urine sample needs to be examined to rule out abnormal urine. If the urine is normal, there is medication used to treat the urinary sphincter. It may be needed off and on long term or just for a few weeks.