Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior

My cat has a hairball stuck in throat, she isnt acting like

My cat has a hairball stuck in throat, she isn't acting like she can't breathe but she keeps swallowing and when I opened her mouth to see what was in there I could see some of the hair on her tounge. What can I do?

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• Is the hair in the back of her throat?
  • Is she coughing or try to vomit?
  • How much hair can you see?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes there was hair in the back of her throat and she did vomit before the hair got stuck and didn't cough but keeps swallowing and rubbing at her mouth. I saw a little hair on her tounge but can't see how much is in her throat.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, trying to grab the hair and pull it out isn't a good idea for two reasons. It's difficult and can be very uncomfortable causing her to try to bite or just not allow you to do it. Secondly the hair ball could cause some damage if you forcibly try to remove it without anesthesia and some careful pulling. The best option is to try and get her to swallow it back down. At that point it will either pass through her intestinal tract or come back up again and perhaps not get stuck the second time. Try offering her some warm chicken broth to tempt her to drink. You can even try force feeding her the fluids with a syringe or eye dropper. A small amount of canned for or chicken breast may also help if she will eat it. Finally, there are hairball remedies that can be found at your pet store. They are laxatives and giving that may help this hair ball pass through her intestinal tract without a problem. If that still doesn't work then a visit to the vet is best. She might need some light anesthesia in order to get the hairball out. If you have more questions please let me know.