Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice,

cat: sores & looks infected..attacked

My cat has matted hair & is now losing her hair. The skin when the hair is pulled away has open sores & looks infected. Another cat has attacked her several times. What would cause her hair to peel back?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
Do you notice any swelling under the skin in the area where the hair is pulling away?
Is there any evidence of pus in the area?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She does seem to have yellow puss where the skin pulled loose. I have not noticed any swelling. She has just been matted because she has long hair. After the "cat fight" she has had appeared to be stiff & sore not wanting to jump up on things.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 years ago.
Hi again. It sounds from your description and the history, that Snowflake may have an abscessed cat bite. When one cat bites another, the tooth marks can be very hard to find, but the bacteria from their mouth enters the area under the skin and begins to reproduce.
The skin can actually die and the fur fall out over the infected area. This can be a very large area, I've seen this happen in area larger than my hand, requiring surgical intervention and cosmetic surgery to correct.
I would strongly recommend you get Snowflake to your veterinarian as soon as possible to keep this situation from becoming much worse over the weekend.
If I may be of further assistance, please let me know.
Dr. Bob