CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My cats urine is not clumping in the litter. We have not

My cat's urine is not clumping in the litter. We have not changed litter brands. The urine just moistens and darkens the dry litter, but will not clump.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
This may sound like an odd question to start with, but important with your information the litter a clumping litter normally?

Is he drinking more than normal?

Urinating more than normal?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We are using Cats Pride Scoopable, manufactured by Oil-Dri Corp. The instructions are to remove clumps daily. So I am assuming it's clumping litter. We've used this before and haven't had this experience. The litter is damp, and darker, but doesn't clump at all. I've examined this moist litter and it's neither bloody, nor smelly. Our cat has multiple sources of water around the house so it's hard to keep track of his consumption. Haven't noticed less or more urination. This cat has never urinated or pooped outside of the box.
Thank you for your reply!

One possible cause is that the litter is not doing the job it is supposed to, clumping, which it should regardless of the urine.

One option as a result would be to purchase another litter to see if ther effects are the same.

My litter is clumping as well, and regardless of the liquid (water, urine, etc - it will clump.

I would doubt that kidney disease or even diabetes (which would change the urine viscosity) would be a cause, something to keep in the back of your mind though in case it is not the litter.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.