Dr. Kelly
Dr. Kelly, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, TAMU 2007. Member of American Association of Feline Practitioners.

cats: metacam safe..just came home from the hospital yesterday

Customer Question

Is Metacam safe for cats? My 9 mos. old kitten just came home from the hospital yesterday. She had complications from her spay on Feb. 1st. She acquired mastitis from an internal infection from the spay. Her mammary glands are still red and swollen and she seems to be in pain. The vet sent her home with Metacam to be administered in a small dose of .02 cc's every 24 hours, along with Zeniquin (1/2 tablet every 24 hours). I looked Metacam up online and a slew of negativity came up concerning the drug and that it can be fatal in cats. Can anyone tell me if this is safe? I'm reluctant to give to my kitten, but want her to be comfortable. I appreciate your time.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi! Excellent question.

Metacam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID). It is widely used in feline veterinary medicine (I use it myself).

However, your concerns are certainly grounded in that metacam can be dangerous to cats. It has been associated with acute renal failure in cats. But if used properly it can also be very safe and certainly very useful in many situations.

There are some cats that should NEVER be given metacam:

1. Dehydrated cats

2. Any cat with a history of renal disease

3. Any cat whose renal values are currently elevated

4. Older cats with unknown renal values

These are the guidelines I personally like to follow (I'm a conservative here). In a young, relatively healthy cat, I will give oral metacam (1.5 mg/ml) at a dose of 0.1 mg/kg once a day for 3 days (total of three doses) OR 0.1 mg/kg every other day (total of three doses).

Even in a worse case scenario, I will not give metacam for more than 5-6 days total without checking kidney values and hydration status of the cat.

Let me repeat myself to say that metacam can be very helpful. It is the safest non-steroidal medication available for use in cats. Truth is, there just isn't any really good, really safe NSAIDS for cats so we make due with what is available.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Thanks for asking and good luck with your kitten!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Kelly, I appreciate your response, it eases my mind a bit. I do want to inquire however, does the doseage sound about right? 0.2cc every 24 hours? The total amount in the bottle the vet gave me is 10ml, and I was told to administer it every 24 hours until it is gone, if Ive done my math correctly thats a 10 day supply. this makes me nervous, she's very tiny. I don't think she weighs more than 5 lbs. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi! Yes, if she weighs 5 lbs. then the dose would be 0.2 ml once a day. I personally would not give it for 10 days, 5 max. If you are concerned about excess pain during this time or after 5 days of metacam then I would recommend a true pain reliever such a oral buprenex. Please ask your veterinarian about this if needed.

Thanks so much for asking and taking such good care of your little girl!

Dr. Kelly, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, TAMU 2007. Member of American Association of Feline Practitioners.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome...I REALLY appreciate your advise and knowledge. Have a wonderful weekend!

Best,
Kimberly and Pip
Expert:  Dr. Kelly replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome!