Dr. Willie
Dr. Willie, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years experience in feline medicine and behavior.

my cat gags at any food I put in front of her - cat food, human

Customer Question

my cat gags at any food I put in front of her - cat food, human food, tuna etc. She does not throw up. She has lost a lot of weight. She wont eat the food that she has had for the last 9 mo. her teeth look fine. She does drink water, but is dehydrated. She sticks her tongue out often like she is trying to wet her lips.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Willie replied 6 years ago.
Even though she is not vomiting, it sounds like Tigress is nauseous. I am very concerned Tigress' weight loss.

Any time a kitty loses a significant amount of weight, she can develop hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). Cats have a high requirement for protein to make energy. Protein malnutrition sets in fast If they stop eating or are eating significantly less than normal. So their bodies try to mobilize fat stores to use for energy. But feline livers were not designed to process large amounts of fat all at once. The fat clogs the liver so that it can't function properly and thus we have fatty liver disease. It can be a primary disease which happens if an otherwise healthy cat stops eating due to a stressful event or more likely secondary to some underlying disease. Even if Tigress has not developed fatty liver disease yet, she could very soon.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is, Tigress needs to see a vet. She will need to have bloodwork done to check her liver and other internal organs. She might need x-rays too in order to find out why she is losing weight and gagging at the smell of food. She will probably need medication to combat the nausea and to help her regain her appetite (if that is possible, it depends on the underlying reason for her symptoms.

I hope that you will be able to help Tigress feel better and that you and your vet can get to the bottom of this. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding Tigress' problem.

-Dr. Willie
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The problem is I dont have the money to take her in. That is why I was hoping that I could do things at home or I will have to put her down. Hence going this route. I dont want to pay for something I already had read about. My husband was laid off last week. And vets can be very expensive. I spent $600 last year on a cat that had double kidney failure and ended up being put down anyway. He was 2 years old. I dont have that available right now. Are there any home things I can try at this point?

Is there something that may have been passed from one cat to another? I had to put my 2nd cat down right before Christmas because he was sick. I had taken him in 30 days before and they put him on an antibiotic and that did not work. I had him for a long time , but the money was not there to run tests, just to end up putting him down. So I just ended up doing that.

This is my last cat. And she is very young. If there is anything I can do here at home I would like to know. That is why I am going this route.

There are things that can be transmitted between cats. I don't know what caused your other cat to be sick but if it was something infectious, then it is a possibility that Tigress could have caught something from him.

You have already tried what you can at home. You have tried various foods but she is not eating and is losing weight. These are things that can not be fixed without a diagnosis. Unfortunately, even with a diagnosis sometimes things don't turn out well. I wish there was something I could tell you to do at home, I would if there was. When people come in to my clinic and say they don't have money but they want to do something, I try to work with them to find a way to try something while keeping costs down. It may not be the ideal solution and it may have a lower chance of success but at least we can try. I have seen miracles happen. It might be worth talking to your vet about what you might be able to do without spending a lot of money that you don't have. Problem is, there is not an over the counter or home remedy for this situation.

-Dr. Willie