Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

FOUND WHITE LIVE WORMS UNDER CATS TAIL . RANGE IN SIZE FROM

FOUND WHITE LIVE WORMS UNDER CATS TAIL . RANGE IN SIZE FROM 1\4 INCH TO 1 INCH. LOOKIN TO SEE WHAT THEY MIGHT BE.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Which of these do the worms look like?

1.

graphic

2.

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
more like image 2
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Those are tapeworms. They come from ingesting fleas or rodents that have fleas on them. They are not contagious to people or other animals. You need to treat for fleas if you find any on the cat and get a tapeworm pill from your vet or local pet store. Here is an example of what to look for:

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Cestex-prod10051-10051.html
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im a bit baffled due to my cat being an iinside cat with no other animals inside. just got him about 6 weeks ago and had his shots updated with no issues about 3 weeks ago
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
If you just got the cat and he has not been outside, he either had fleas or was catching mice before you got him. He can't get the worms any other way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i adopted him about 6 weeks ago they stated he lived in a greenhouse which would explain possible the mice thing since it is cold here in michigan that would add up. but he was fully checked out with bloodwork and 2nd series of shots about 3 weeks ago and was told he had no issues. no mice in my house and he hasnt been outside since i got him. wouldnt the vet see this problem 3 weeks ago when they fully tested him ?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
The things you are seeing are called gravid segments. If there were none stuck to the cat's fur around the anus at the time he was examined, they would not know he had tapeworms. It takes several days to weeks for the larvae to develop into an adult worm that sheds the segments in the feces.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is saturday night and i cant get to vet till monday when open. do i have to take him in with me or can i just explain to them and get the medicine? can i wait till monday and be safe for the cats wellbein and health ? and since he lays around the entire house including the beds am i and my son safe? i checked the bedspreads and did not see any
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
The tapeworms do not hurt the cat and are not contagious to people. Put one in a Ziploc bag and show it to your vet on Monday.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.