Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

My 10 month old female cat has lumps on her belly, one around

My 10 month old female cat has lumps on her belly, one around a nipple and the other in the center, definitely a mass to them but wondering if they are a cyst or other? She does not seem to be bothered by them at all, and does not react when we hold her to check them out... they appeared in the last two months. Thank You!    Doug.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Is the cat spayed?

Are the lumps on the skin or under the skin?

Is the skin inflamed?

How large are they?

How long have they been there?

Are they hard of soft?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the cat spayed?
No.

Under the skin but definately not deep - somewhat moveable from side to side... and now that we are holding her and really looking at it (feeling), she has about 5 or 6 that go from as small as a dime to the largets on the ceneter of her belly being just under a half dollar sized.........

Is the skin inflamed?
As in hot to the touch? No. And touching and examinig her gets no reaction besides purring...

How large are they?
Between a quarter and a half dollar in circumference, and raised up at the highest at about a half inch... the center belly one is the larger of the them, the one surrounding a nipple seems to have a bit more "multiple" masses in it...

How long have they been there?
A little over one month, we thought at first she may have been pregnant and it was just nipples developing for nursing, but she is not showing signs of pregnancy to date and has not been thru a heat cycle as of yet...

Are they hard of soft?
Actually feels like both, squishy to a degree, but with mass to them.....

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
If the lumps are this large, mammary hyperplasia is most likely in a cat this age. It is hormone related. Even if pregnant, there should never be these types of masses. Infection is not likely if the lumps are not painful and inflamed and have been there a month. An aspirate of one of the lumps is needed to get a specific diagnosis and treatment plan. Mammary cancer is also possible, but not common in a cat this age.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can this - if it is Hyperplasia, go away on it's own ... or will they go away if she gets fixed? We actualkly have a spay scheduled for her in mid March... just curious... times are tough of course and money is an issue at this time... but a reduced costs vet is our source here to go to, but wanted to be a bit prepared if need be...

Thank You again, Doug.......
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
If it is mammary hyperplasia it will usually resolve after the cat is spayed as it is hormone related. Over spayed it takes several weeks for the hormones to fade from the bloodstream so it will take time to resolve. It will not likely go away on it's own.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.