BestFriendsVet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  In small animal practice since 2003

Is hemp oil safe for cats

Is hemp oil safe for cats?
Hi! I do not believe the hemp oil would be problematic, however for omega-3 fatty acids I recommend purchasing bottled fish oil or flax oil rather than hemp. It will be in the cold-case in your local health-food store. 1 tsp. per day is adequate. Please let me know what questions you still have. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click the green "accept" button. Thanks for asking and good luck~
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am so relieved! I became alarmed after I read that the safety of hemp oil for cats may be in question. It is considered safe and beneficial for dogs and some other animals, however. The information that I read said that cats may lack the necessary enzymes to adequately digest the protein in hemp oil.

Even though she seems to have responded well to the hemp oil, I think I may put it aside for a while and see what happens. I am still concerned that the rapid weight gain is related. That part of my question is still open. Do you think it is related? This may be important for others who are supplementing their cats with this oil, as well.

Thank you for the suggestion about the flax and fish oils.

OK, well I would think that supplementing her diet with any oil might cause weight gain, but likely it's not just the hemp oil doing it. In my experience, cats get heavy by ingesting too many carbohydrates (too much grain level in dry food). I'd consider trying a low-carbohydrate diet such as Innova Evo. I also recommend canned food from Weruva which features human-grade meat and fish. Cats' natural diet is mice and birds (protein and fat), and they have NO dietary requirements for carbohydrates at all. So, the food you feed them should mimic this to the best of your ability.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX You've been helpful. My cat eats a totally organic diet with natural whole meats (usually chicken - her favorite). I do read labels to keep fillers out of her diet. Your advice is happily supportive that I am on the right track.

I don't know what is causing her sudded hunger and weight explosion. I'll eliminate the oil and see if she normalizes again. If not, it'll be a trip to the vet.

At least, I know I'm not giving her a toxic substance.

Thank you. You've been very helpful.