Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.

My cat often meows or cries quietly when she is sleeping.

My cat often meows or cries quietly when she is sleeping. She has been diagnosed as having IBD and is on a special diet. I worry about whether she might be in pain, and it is coming out when she sleeps, even though she does not meow or otherwise seem to express pain when she is awake. She is about 17 years old. She does sleep a lot, but that does not seem surprising for a cat her age.

Just have your veterinarian keep reevaluating her periodically, At this age thyroid problem, kidney and liver problems as well as pancreatitis can be factors in her intestinal problems. She also could be dealing with arthritis. However pancreatic and kidney problems can be quite uncomfortable and could be a possible factor. She needs periodic blood profiles including viral checks and thyroid levels. She may need a test called cPLI sent to the lab and definitely ultra sound by a qualified specialist or one very competent in its use is important in her workup.

good luck and hopefully the problem will be identified and taken care of.

Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Please, if you agree with my advice, hit the accept button on your question. Also you need to deposit the fee first if you have not already done so. This is the only way we receive our commission on the payment.
thanks. Dr. Jay Mawhinney

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, it sounds as if you are saying that she could be in some pain even though she is eating and does not meow in pain when she is awake. Am I understanding you correctly? If so I will definitely take her back to her vet with this input. Thanks so much!

Yes it is definitely a possibility if she is truly groaning in her sleep. If she hasn't had a check up in a while definitely go. Hope all is ok. Thank you

Dr. Jay Mawhinney