Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My cat is vomiting and seems to be trying to go to the bathroom

My cat is vomiting and seems to be trying to go to the bathroom trying to poop and it seems when he tries to go he drips diarrhea. He has already vomited 3 times. I gave him metronidaz and I think he already threw that up. I gave him water to drink and some food and have isolated him because he is dripping everyway and I have another cat so I want to keep them apart. I did notice over the last 3 days, both of my cats have been sneezing both neither show signs of a respiratory infection having a runny nose or boogies in their eyes. What should I do? I believe the cat is about 14 years old.

HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm gonig to be very honest here and say that it sounds like your little guy is having a life threatening emergency situation. If he is trying to urinate and vomiting, then he most likely has a urethral obstruction and this is life threatening.

Here is a link on this. Please have him seen immediately as this again sounds very worrisome!

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1111

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I said the cat is trying to go to the restroom #2 and can't seem to go to the bathroom. He drips poop not pee..
I said the cat is trying to go to the restroom #2 and can't seem to go to the bathroom. He drips poop not pee.
Have you seen him urinating? Does he seem painful? How long has this been going on?

I want to agree with Dr. Bruce. I understand that he is straining to poo, however these two symptoms together...straining to poo and nausea/vomiting are almost always a URINARY obstruction. The general public does not recognize this as such because they are trying to "poo".
Urethral obstruction is life threatening and I would strongly advise an emergency room visit.

Dr. Pat
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Okay well both of my cats have been going to the restroom really well and they eat urinary tract formula. The other thing is that is that he has had an issue like this before without the vomiting and every time I take him to the vet, they give me metronidaz and fortiflora to give him for like two weeks. He will be fine for like 2 months or less and then he gets sick again

Hi there. If you are absolutely certain that your cat is urinating, then it seems to me that the most likely cause for this is constipation. I see many cats here at the ER hospital that are straining to defecate and vomiting, and they are constipated. Many times some liquidy "diarrhea" is able to squeeze past the firm feces that is "stuck" in the colon, so many times owners think the cat has diarrhea when in reality, the cat is constipated. The straining to defecate can cause the vomiting, since the straining causes increased pressure in the abdomen, and this will cause them to vomit. Anyway, the answer about what to do is that you need to have your cat seen by a vet right away to have a physical exam and then a possible enema if constipation is the issue (which it certainly sounds like it is if your cat is urinating well). But, like the other doctors said, unless you are CERTAIN that your cat is urinating, I would take him in right away to rule out a urinary obstruction. Hope this helps... best of luck.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005