Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

How often should I expect my cat to pee after subcutaneous

How often should I expect my cat to pee after subcutaneous fluid injections given twice a day? She was just diagnosed with chronic kidney disease three days ago. If she isn't peeing, does that mean she will die soon? She has gained a ton of weight from the fluid injections and doesn't seem to be peeing as much as I thought she would. She has had 4 250cc injections in the last 3 days. I would prefer a licensed vet to answer this question.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer!

I'm sorry you have had such a long wait to get a response to your question. I just logged on and saw your question and have replied immediately.

I would like to help you and your senior cat with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How many breaths per minute is she taking?

How many hours has it been since she urinated?

If you take her and put her beside her litter box, will she get in and urinate?

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No worries. I would say 60-70 breaths per minute. I can't answer the second question because I do not know. I think she peed sometime late last night and she could have done it again while I was sleeping or at work. I never thought to check for spots in the litter box so I just cleaned it out and I will be monitoring it. I just took her over to the litter box and she got in but I don't think she went which is probably a really bad sign. I am going to try to get her to go in again shortly and see if she will pee.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Ok - that respiratory rate is VERY high! A normal cat respiratory rate at rest is about 20 breaths per minute.

What this suggests to me is that your cat is NOT clearing the fluids adequately from her body and now has fluid in her lungs. This makes it hard to get oxygen across her lungs which then means she has to breath very rapidly in short, shallow breaths.

PLEASE STOP THE FLUIDS!

I never give more than 250mLs in a 24 hour period to a cat, and usually build up to that slowly over a period of weeks. I monitor that the cat is urinating and that she is not developing dyspnea (difficulty breathing) or tachypnea (rapid breathing).

If your cat does not seem to be in respiratory distress (open mouth breathing, struggling to breathe), you may be able to wait this out over the next 12 to 24 hours, while her kidneys deal with the fluids.

It is, as you have guessed, worrying that she has not urinated as much as one would expect.

This does not mean that she won't... but the next 24 hours are critical!

Please watch her breathing very closely. If she is breathing more rapidly, or has difficulty breathing, then see your vet immediately. If she is not urinating in the next 12 hours, then see your vet.

Stop the fluids for now, while her body deals with what is in there. I am hoping that her kidneys will start to push this through soon. If they do not, she may need injections of a diuretic like lasix (furosemide) in order to get the fluids out of her lungs.

Normally, a cat on SQ fluids will urinate twice a day or more. She may be feeling weak, so do make sure her litter box is close by as she may not have the energy to reach it.

I hope that she starts producing urine very soon!

If this has been helpful, please click on accept and leave feedback. If you need more information, just click on reply!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes, Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I am so glad I asked. You could have just saved or at least prolonged her life!
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
I'm so glad I have been able to help and I do hope that she feels much better soon!

Fiona
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can give you some more money if you can help me again. I waited until she fell asleep and took her breaths per minute again and it was right at 21. I think that when I took it the first time it was after she had been walking around. I took it again later after she had been laying down for a bit and it was at 45-51. Now that she is asleep it is 21. So what does this suggest and what should I do about it? If her heart is back to normal than she probably isn't getting fluid in her lungs? I still don't want to continue giving her fluid if she isn't peeing though. I will definitely monitor her peeing and will take her to the vet if she doesn't go in the next 12 hours. So should I still skip the next dose of fluid if she doesn't urinate?
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Hi!

That is a much better respiratory rate - PHEW!

I would still only give fluids once a day, especially as she is not urinating regularly. I would rather under-dose her than over-dose her, especially until we know she is urinating regularly!

You do NOT need to hit accept or pay me again for this follow up question!

Fiona