Dr. May
Dr. May, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinary medicine and surgery. Special interest in ultrasonography and orthopedics.

My cat is in heat. Is there anything I can do to calm her

My cat is in heat. Is there anything I can do to calm her down? This was unexpected as she is very young. I'm living in an apartment and she is causing a lot of noise.
Hi PhyllisHall2,

You are in a difficult situation. They do tend to make a lot of noise when they are in heat. The heat cycle does usually last about a week. It may get a little better everyday.

You can give her some Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1-2 mg per pound of body weight once every 8-12 hours to possibly calm her down and put her in sleep mode. It may also help to isolate her to a bathroom or a small room. If that doesn't work, your veterinarian may prescribe a sedative. If she is making too much noise regardless of what you do, you may want to board her at a veterinary facility until she is over her heat cycle.

This will get better very soon.

Good luck.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Dr. May
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have any benadry Would Tylonal hurt her? If not how much?
Tylenol is very toxic to cats. I would not use any over the counter drugs other than Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for your cat. If you do not have it, you can wait until the morning.