Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

What is the safest and most effective sedative/tranquilizer

Customer Question

What is the safest and most effective sedative/tranquilizer to totally immobilize an older cat with a slight heart murmur for a couple of hours or so, sufficient to carefully complete a thorough tooth scaling and cleaning with professional instruments at home or to carefully bathe and dry the animal in a medicated solution to treat a fungal skin condition? What would be the appropriate oral doseage of such sedative/tranquilizer to use according to the weight of the cat, how much time to allow post dosing for it to become effective, how long do the sedative effects last and how long of a recovery period should be allowed for the effects to wear off?

Cat is a rescue cat, neutered female, 19 years old. Some teeth missing. Horrendous "Buffalo Breath" and foul-smelling saliva. Huge amounts of calculus to remove. Apart from heart murmur, appears very good health.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/207bn-what-is-the-safe-dose-for-sedating-a-feline-with-lorazepam#ixzz0ecKGvOj
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

Customer, you are not going to receive an answer to your question. First, what you are trying to do is completely illegal as you are not a veterinarian to be doing such a procedure. Second, you are not suppose to be handling narcotics or giving them to an animal without the supervision of a veterinarian after a client - patient relationship has been established.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Previous Vet, now retired, has provided me with Sedative/Tranquilizer medications to perform such "procedures" before. Unfortunately, I did not inquire as to what the medications were. Before speaking with any licensed vet for a prescription, I feel it's important to be fully aware of my options and what the risks are. By the way, assuming you're a licensed veterinarian, there's probably nothing to prevent YOU from issuing a scrip in just the same fashion as many of the online pharmacies do. Either way, it's somewhat of a catch-22 for this old cat. The heart murmur is probably caused by periodontal disease which, if not arrested, will terminate her fairly soon. Conversely, there's always the possibility of a cardio-respitory crash from tranquilizing drugs that would seal her fate right then and there. I'm simply willing to expend my time and a small amount of cash to give her a fighting chance, at least for a short life extension. My meagre Social Security income does not allow for more. Should I assume you would prefer me to "take her behind the woodshed and shoot her" right now?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

I am not going to get into an argument with you and what I would prefer is for you to seek veterinary care and not try to play veterinary medicine. You are not going to patronize me by threatening that you are going to shoot her, if you do I can only hope that someone see's you and press charges against you and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. Have a great day!!!!!!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What happened to help? What happened to caring? What happened to healing? As far as I'm concerned you're no credit either to humanity or your "Profession". You simply seem to be making excuses for not providing information or trying to assist in any way. Perhaps obstuctive would be a more correct description than uncooperative. As far as I'm concerned, you have been a total waste of time. I won't bother to acknowledge your sarcastic, insincere "Have a Great day!!!!!!" other than to opine that you probably do not know what a truly great day is. You appear to be temperamentally unsuited to hanging out a shingle as an information source, fee paid or otherwise.

To paraphrase the late William Penn:-- We pass through this world but once. If there is some small thing that I can do to help a fellow man (or helpless animal ?) today, let me do it now for I shall not pass this way again.

I'm looking for information to intelligently weigh the options. Obviously, you're not the right person to ask to provide it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I just need fact, not political opinion.
Expert:  Vet help replied 4 years ago.

You won't get the help that you're seeking here.

It is a legal and ethical violation for a veterinarian to make this kind of recommendation without a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship.

It is not for lack of caring, but we took an oath to do no harm. If we are not directly overseeing this type of activity and something goes terribly wrong, then we have violated that oath and failed our profession.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no breach of ethics or legal violation to educate one as to what type of drugs are safest and most appropriate to use under a given set of circumstances, even if one practitioner of veterinary medicine has different preferences over another. As to the potential for harm, it happens far too often, I'm afraid, particularly where it involves the almighty dollar and notwithstanding any hypocratic oath that seems to have morphed into a hypocritical oath on many occasions. I could cite numerous examples over my lifetime and the two vets I had found to be truly caring without gouging have unfortunately both retired. On a once bitten, twice shy basis, I won't be discussing this situation with any potential new vet on a face-to-face basis without some basic advice and knowledge aforehand. Neither will I consider turning this animal over to the type of callous approach to tooth cleaning that I've previously witnessed. As to the vacuum euthanasia practiced by SPCA, well that simply belies the name of that organization IMHO. Have you witnessed the fear, the panic or contemplated the intensity and duration of pain? I thought not!

Obviously, there's no point in continuing this discussion. I'll use my best, XXXXX XXXXX as to how best to handle the situation and discontinue "just answer" as a potential information source.