Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat is coughing up white foam

My cat is coughing up white foam
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 years ago.

Coughing up foam in cats is always a serious condition. The most common cause of this is heart failure if there is foam coming out of the mouth and nose. The source of the foam is usually the lungs. These cats should be seen as an emergency and have chest x-rays to look for heart size enlargement and fluid in the lungs. Treatment is with oxygen and diuretics through an IV.

Asthma is also a possible cause of coughing in cats, although most present much earlier in life- typically middle aged.

If this is more retching and vomiting, then it could be GI related and due to the stress of a new cat in the house. In these cases, you can give over the counter Pepcid- 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet once daily to help with the GI upset.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.