Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

My 10 year old spayed female cat is bleeding out her vagina...whats

My 10 year old spayed female cat is bleeding out her vagina...what's wrong?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

How long has this been going on?

Is the cat straining to urinate?

How much blood are you seeing?

Is the blood bright red or dark?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just this morning we noticed some blood droplets on the kitchen floor that appeared to be mixed with water...and recently theres blood drops all over the house and we confirmed that its coming from her vagina by looking. I dont know if shes straining to urinate. I guess its more of a dark color but not too dark looking, not like a black-red color. She has lost weight in the past few months and drinks a lot of water.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
The blood could be coming from the bladder. Infection, bladder stones and cystitis are all possible. If the cat has lost weight and is drinking more, diabetes may also be a factor. A vaginal infection is possible, but not common. Cats can get what is called a stump pyometra. Oral antibiotics are needed to treat. You need to have your vet examine a urine sample to rule out the most common problems first. The treatment will depend on what is diagnosed.