petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Will bag balm hurt cats if they lick it and ingest it My

Will bag balm hurt cats if they lick it and ingest it? My cat has hot spots that she keeps on licking. I have tried flea protection and she does not have fleas. I have tried changing her food back to Science Diet for sensitive skin but that does not seem to be the cause. she has been to the vet but I forgot to ask about bag balm.

While the petroleum component of Bag Balm is not harmful, the 8-Hydroxyquinoline component should not be ingested. A few licks would probably not hurt, but you would not want Callie licking it on a chronic basis.

Since your vet has already seen her for this problem, I would consult with them as far as other treatment alternatives if what you have tried is not working. It sounds like you are dealing with allergy problems, so perhaps they can prescribe a trial of antihistamines or even a round of steroids orally to break the itch cycle. Omega 3 fish oils may also be useful.

Good luck with her and please let me know if you have any other questions.