Dr.D
Dr.D, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian for 27 years. Licensed in Canada and in the USA.
27194348

my cats keeps getting tapeworm. They are treated every month

Customer Question

my cats keeps getting tapeworm. They are treated every month faithfully with Frontline and as soon as I notice worm droppings I treat them with the deworming pills. I have got to the vet twice Once in July then again in Sept. We got worms again in Nov. when I went to petco and got the pills. Well just noticed again this weekend and I treated again with the petco pills. As soon as I do they are gone-and I even will follow up as I have all the other times with a second dose a week later. Any idea why every few months this keeps happening. I had an outdoor cat for 13 years and the frontline did the trick I never had worms till I got these two and they are strictly indoor cats.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.D replied 4 years ago.
Helo there ,
Welcome to JA ,
I am DrD

when I went to petco and got the pills. : What are those pills and what is in it how many mg's ?
Dr.D, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Veterinarian for 27 years. Licensed in Canada and in the USA.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
trade winds tape worm tabs 23 mg of praziquantrel with their weight they get 1 and 1/2 tabs.
Expert:  Dr.D replied 4 years ago.
O.k
Thank you.

We need to start dealing with fleas. I do see a lot of resistant tapeworm cases and I strongly recommend my clients to go over with the below recommendations :
From the Veterinary Partner :

Eggs are laid in the hair coat and are designed to fall off the host. They are resistant to insecticides, but susceptible to various insect growth regulators. Larvae develop in the host’s environment and feed on adult flea feces (blood) that fall out of the hair coat of the pet. Larvae are susceptible to traditional insecticides, borates and insect growth regulators. Larvae eventually spin cocoons (often within carpet fibers) for pupation. Pupae are resistant to freezing, desiccation, and insecticides. Pupae can lie dormant for many months; they are stimulated to expupate as emergent adults by vibration, warming and increased carbon dioxide. Normally, expupation occurs when a host is near and the new flea finds the pet within seconds of emergence. Emergent fleas are fairly mobile and can survive a few days without a host, if in a suitable environment. New fleas begin feeding within hours of finding a dog or cat. Once a blood meal has been taken, the flea can survive only a short time if it is dislodged from the host. New fleas experience very high mortality on healthy adult hosts. Most fleas do not survive 72 hours on an animal that is itching and able to groom itself.

This is the life cycle of the flea and it must be broken . You need to treat your house too. There is a company called flea busters. If you can find one close buy you can talk to them or get their products to use at your house.Unless yo get rid of these fleas you will have this problem.

On the other hand I would get these two cats to dewormed with original DRONCIT by your vet. Some OTC generic praziquantel products may not work.

There also is another parasite exactly look the same with tapeworms. It is called
Spirometra mansanoides . There are not much information about these parasites since they mostly seen in Opossums and raccoons . They also reported to be found in cats .And it needs to be treated with large amount of Praziquantel but only by your veterinarian.

I still think your cats have flea problem as well as your house and the both needs to be taken care of.

The above is given for information only. I can not prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet condition I would strongly advise consulting your veterinarian.

I hope this helps.If you need to ask more questions please do not hesitate to ask