Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice,

Does it really matter what cat food I feed my cats. I have

Does it really matter what cat food I feed my cats. I have nine cats, and one is diabetic. My vet recommends Purina DM for her. Is it okay to feed my diabetic cat the same thing the other cats eat as long as she gets her insulin regularly? I read different things on the internet, even that diabetic cats shouldn't eat Purina DM. My cats don't all like the same thing. Which is better for cats in general canned food or dry food? I don't know what to believe, and that is stressing me out.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I understand your stress! There is more information out there, both good and bad, than anyone can deal with! It gets really complicated though, in a multi-cat household, trying to feed one of them a specific diet.
Your veterinarian is absolutely right to recommend Purina DM, but are you feeding the canned form or the dry?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm feeding her the dry Purina DM.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would also like to know what brand of cat foods dry and canned that you recommend to feed my nine cats?
Hi again. The DM diet was invented by a veterinarian and the recipe sold to Purina. In an attempt to make the food more acceptable to cats on dry diets, Purina released dry DM. The inventor has stated publicly that she is not happy about that decision as the canned version is much more effective in her opinion. So, canned food works better in diabetic cats. Some cats will lose weight on canned food and, if they were borderline diabetics in the first place, can actully be weaned off the insulin. This,of course, must be done under close veterinary supervision to avoid a disaster.
Cats are naturally carnivores and the thinking is that their digestive systems were not made to handle carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are what make dry food possible.
Canned food also has been found to be beneficial to the health of cats' urinary tracts.
You are correct in your thinking that if she gets her insulin regularly, the type of diet is not so important. What is important is consistency - same diet all the time. I would recommend a good quality canned food for your whole herd, primarily because of the urinary benefits.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been mostly feeding them Fancy Feast, but again my vet said they, or at least the diabetic cat, should not have the grilled variety that has gravy in it. What about the sliced or the rather new Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys?
Those should be just fine. I'm not sure what objection your veterinarian might have to the gravy, but I would assume it would be to the flour (carbohydrates) used to make the gravy. You might ask them about that!
Good luck!
Dr. Bob