Dr. Jamie
Dr. Jamie, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 9 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
22263700

My 4 year old cat, Tigger, has been vomiting watery blood this

Customer Question

My 4 year old cat, Tigger, has been vomiting watery blood this evening and a little earlier today.

While cleaning it up, I just noticed 2 long slender "somethings". So I dug them out (i know its gross, but i had to) and I am 99% sure it is leaves from an Elephant Foot Palm Tree. It is a small palm about 14" tall with long curly leaves.

I had brought the palm in to my sunroom last week to keep it from freezing in the cold weather we were experiencing. Yesterday or the day before I noticed Tigger rubbing on it with his face, like he was scratching himself or something.

Now I wish I would have left the plant outside to freeze! I could care less about it, but I love love love Tigger.

Tigger has been an inside cat for about 8 months. He was an outside cat, but he became deathly ill. He gets blockages of crystals in his urinary tract, and could not pee. Catheterized him, re-hydrated him and changed his cat food to Purina ST OX. He is now inside cat.

What should I do for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
I have good news for you, the elephant foot palm is not toxic. Besides the vomiting he should be fine. I would wait 12 hours and then offer him very small (1-2 tsp) meals of a bland diet, like rice and boiled chicken breast every few hours. You can also give him 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet of Pepcid AC to help calm his stomach.
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
Please feel free to ask if you need any further clarification or have additional questions.
If not please press the "ACCEPT" button.

Best of luck to you and Tigger!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But why would his vomiting be very bloody? Could he be injured inside from the sharp leaves?
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
Yes the sharp leaves could have irritated the lining of his stomach, causing an ulcerated area. The pepcid AC is an acid blocker, which will help any stomach ulcers to heal. You can give it every 24 hours for several days if needed.
Dr. Jamie, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Over 9 years experience in feline medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks you so much. I'm heading to Walmart right now to buy the Pepcid AC. Blessings to you. Angie
Expert:  Dr. Jamie replied 4 years ago.
Blessing to you too Angie.
Take care,
Dr. Jamie