Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.

I need to either knock my cat out or get it sedated enough

Customer Question

I need to either knock my cat out or get it sedated enough to not fight back. The reason for this is because my cat has tons of knots of hair on his belly and butt area. The butt is even covered in poop. He use to be a stray and now stays at my house, but he is extremely scared of things he is not familiar with. If I even get close to him with scissors he begins to freak out. He is a Mane Coon, so he is huge. About 36 inches long and he is very hard to hold onto. I feel bad when I try to grab him and hold him down. But I know these knots are painful and itchy and I need to shave them off of him. I can't take him to a vet because he would not sit still. Is there a safe way to get him sedated or knocked out completely?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

There is nothing over the counter that will knock the cat out completely. Oral Benadryl has a mild sedative effect on many animals at 1 mg per pound body weight. If that is not enough you need to ask your vet for acepromazine tablets.