Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

my cat has scabs under her chin all of a sudden what could

my cat has scabs under her chin all of a sudden what could be causing this?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Is it limited to her chin or has other lesion elsewhere?

2- Is she itchy?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is limited to her chin and I can't seem to catch her scratching there.....I have noticed that's she's been sort of chewing her cud like a cow for the past couploe of weeks, and I have a lot of touch contact with her and have just noticed the scabs....I don't think it's teeth related, her skin seems to be a bit lumpy when I can get her to let me look at it...she lives with two other cats who show no symptoms and has historically exhibited allergies to flea bites with scaly skin at the base of her tail, this is not present now....hope this helps
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

Seems that she may have what is called "Feline Acne." The black scabs are what is called "comedons (black heads)." The cause is unknown, there are theories where it may be associated with stress or allergies. You can treat by cleaning the area with a benzoyl peroxide gel or shampoo (antiseborrheic shampoo). If it becomes very inflamed or infected may need a short course of steroids and oral antibiotics. Try first to treat it with the benzoyl peroxide. If no improvement within a week then have her checked by your veterinarian.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IT is not feline acne ~ my other cat laready had that ~ these are ligitimate scabs ~ not little blackheads......just wondering if it could be another skin condition or allergy that would cause bleeding and scabs ~ not blackheads.....?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

If these are scabs then this could be an allergic contact dermatitis, if you have plastic bowls switch it to metal. Or, it is a localized bacterial infection. You can use the benzoyl peroxide to clean followed by a topical antibiotic like neosporin.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.